How To: Edit and Stitch RAW DNG Images From RICOH THETA Z1 with Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and THETA Stitcher

This file naming issue is another good reason to use the ‘Edit in’ way instead of ‘Export’ because you don’t have to think about selecting the right preset each time. :wink:

Also note that in version 1.10.0 of the stitcher the name handling was changed (although it’s not clear to me what is now working and what still not):

2 Likes

Wow, great information! Thanks.

I wonder what the bug fix was that was fixed on the Mac on 1/28?

Maybe people need to upgrade the plug-in and everything will start working???

1 Like

Hi, Guys!
Update information;
https://topics.theta360.com/en/news/2020-02-20/

Frozen preview issue fixed. The current version: ver.1.10.1 for Windows.

Hope you enjoy.
Toyo

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, @Juantonto!

1 Like

Hi,there. Enjoy the video of Sam Rohn.

Toyo

1 Like

@Juantonto, thanks for sharing this.

Original

Reduce highlights.

Increase Shadow

+61

Bottom or right sphere.

Increase Clarity

+31

Reduce Noise - Luminance

Increase Sharpening

from 40 to 49
Recovers detail lost by noise reduction

Fix Chromatic Aberration

Increase Exposure

+0.35

Dropped Highlights

Draft Before Stitching

Stitch

Sam has set as a pre-set.

Adjust Image Centering

Back in Lightroom

Bring down highlights

Bring up shadows

+31

Bump up clarity

+22

Original Compared to Developed

Dark areas have good detail.

Fixing Minor Noise

Increase Luminance

+14

Increase Sharpening

+11

Final

Reference

Troubleshooting

Every few days, I read on Facebook about people having problems with the stitcher. Here’s another example of problem and solution. This one again relates to the file name. I am sharing again because the question keeps coming up and I am just trying to share the information widely.

2 Likes

My RAW images are coming out of the camera already stitched. Di I have a setting wrong or was there a Theta update that means we don’t need the extra stitcher anymore?

With normal usage, your RAW images should come out fully stitched. You don’t need to do anything to stitch them. If you want to get them in dual fisheye (maybe you want to stitch them yourself, maybe you want to take many pictures quickly), then you can use the DualFisheye Plugin.

Then why is there a special adobe plugin and a length forum thread about how to stitch them within Lightroom if you can just edit them in Lightroom already stitched?

On the Z1, the camera can take both a JPG and DNG image in dual-fisheye mode, meaning for one shutter press, you’ll generate two files. The JPG is equirectangular (stitched). Is it possible that you’re looking at the JPG and not the DNG file?

Yes. I am sure. I pulled the images off the camera instead of off the phone, they say .dng and are over 40MB each.
jcasman says that “your RAW images should come out fully stitched”.
I am so confused. :woozy_face:

Can you put your DNG image up on some place like Google Drive or dropbox so that we can take a look at it? My understanding is that the DNG image is normally in equirectangular. I have’t heard of a firmware upgrade to stitch the DNG image internally.

1 Like

preview

Hi, @JPPeron
You see the embedded thumbnail images in DNG, don’t you?

1 Like

@Juantonto, great point.

@JPPeron, can you open the DNG file in Lightroom or darktable (which is free) and tell us what you see?

Example of opening DNG file from THETA in darktable.

Yes. I do. That is how mine are looking.

OH! It shows as already stitched until I go to the develop tab and then I get the two spheres.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back on the solution to the mystery. Editing the dual-fisheye DNG is new to many of us.

The light and clarity results from the expert people like Toyo are amazing.

I’ve been trying to collect some of the information on the process here:

https://www2.theta360.guide/doc/article/9

I’m slowly learning more about this process.

Becasue every DNG will save a smaller size preview image. If you generate a preview from the Raw data , you will end up with a dual fisheye image.

1 Like

Actually, the DNG contains the full JPEG version (6720 x 3360 pixels) in addition to the raw data.

1 Like

How to stitch raw photos with Ricoh Theta Z1 without using Adobe Lightroom or PTui. Any suggestions?
Thanks. Luc

1 Like