RICOH THETA Factory Reset Using API

RICOH THETA Factory Reset Using API. Delete all device settings and capture settings. After applying this command, your camera will also restart automatically.

The HTTP command below will delete all device and capture settings. This is useful if you want to reset your camera settings to factory defaults. For example, you may have manual exposure settings or your camera may be in self-timer mode. The mobile app should be able to change all the settings. If the mobile app is not working, this API command should delete all your settings from the camera.

theta-api-specs/theta-web-api-v2.1/commands/camera.reset.md at main · ricohapi/theta-api-specs · GitHub

To use the API command, you will need to use something like curl or Postman.

curl -d '{"name": "camera.reset"}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST http://192.168.1.1/osc/commands/execute

HTTP Command Tools

Connection

Your RICOH THETA camera needs to be connected to your computer using WiFi for this to work. The connection must be access point mode. The WiFi LED should be blue.

The above command will not work in client mode when the LED is green. If you wish to use client mode, you must use digest authentication. See this article for more examples of using client mode.

Plug-in in Store

Based on demand for this technique, community produced a plug-in to make it easier to run the reset command.

1 Like

This looks really useful. Does it reset the firmware version? Is there a way to roll back firmware versions?

It does not affect the firmware version. It just clears the camera and device settings. The firmware is untouched.

I don’t think you can roll back the firmware even with the developer tool and the older firmware file. My understanding is that if you upgraded to 2.21.1 you can’t roll back to 2.20.1 even with the special developer tools that Ricoh offers partners.

I guess you have to be confident that the firmware upgrade does what you want!

That’s why this site is so important. We can share our own tests with other developers. If I were to read the firmware description, I wouldn’t know how it impacted the API. Sharing experiences is the best way.

I don’t think there’s a way to be confident with how the firmware impacts the development process just from reading the notice on the Ricoh site. I think we should provide more detailed information and test results on this site as a free service to other developers. Let’s do it.

I’M FROM BRAZIL, AND I HAVE A PROBLEM IN MY NEW THETA V, I CAN’T SEE A VERY BIG FILE (5 GB) TO DELETE, (WHEN I RECORD A VIDEO, I HAVE DISCHARGED BATTERY.) I TRY TO DELETE IN ANDROID, WINDOWS AND IN MAC OS, BUT WAS NO POSSIBLE.
HELP ME TO ERASE A GHOST HIDDEN FILE INSIDE A RICOH THETA V. WHEN I WAS RECORDING A VIDEO THE BATTERY WAS ENDED AND THE FILE DENIED AND IT WAS INVISIBLE TO BE ERASED… ANYBODY TO HELP ME PLEASE ?
HELP%20ME

I think that @jjj is working on file system recovery and management tools. Maybe you can beta test the app for him?

You would need to join the partner program to test plug-ins that are not in the store. Once you unlock your camera, you may be able to use adb shell to access the Android OS and then delete the file with rm or Vysor and the built-in file manager

If you use Vysor, you can access the filesystem of your camera.

Go to the link below and look at the Tutorials - > Tutorial - Vysor

https://community.theta360.guide/t/ricoh-theta-v-plugin-application-development-community-guide/2883?u=codetricity

You can assess if this is something you want to try. If so, you’ll need to join the partner program to get your camera unlocked.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Plug-in for Factory Reset? Any Demand for this?

My Ricoh Theta V is not starting, red light indicator. How can I do hard reset to the factory settings?

Have you confirmed that the camera is charged? when you plug it into your computer with a USB cable, does it boot at all? Can you see the percentage charge on Windows File Explorer?

Try holding down the power button for 18 seconds. Is it possible that you need to upgrade the firmware in the camera with the desktop app?

This plug-in may help.

https://pluginstore.theta360.com/plugins/guide.theta360.settingsreset/

Hello i am having a problem with the theta S , is there a similar simple work around to reset my device?
reading through the forum here has been helpful.
My camera tipped over and now only beeps and wont start ,it showed an SD card issue with i solved.
it connects to the PC app i was even able to access the photos on it .Firmware is ok.
how can i factory reset . please help

On the THETA S, did you try to press and HOLD the power button for longer than 8 seconds. Make sure it is longer than 8 seconds or it will just be a power off.

Does anyone know how to do a Factory Reset using API via USB cable? As I can’t access wifi in my Theta Z1, the device won’t boot after trying to capture using matterport, only displays “error”.

Find a way to revert firmware, bypassing the useless-pro-brick-Theta software.

If you are on Windows, you can revert your firmware by doing the following:

1. Access the following URL: https://theta360-statics.s3.amazonaws.com/app/firmUpdate/{MODEL}/{VERSION}/gy1_{SEMVER}.frm

MODEL - m20 is the Theta S.
VERSION - 01.62. Keep all the trailing zeroes.
SEMVER - v162. Place the V as you desire.

Download the .frm file from there. Mine was gy1_v182.frm.

Now access the executable file from the application. In Windows it is C:\Users{YOUR-USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\tools\thetaupdater

Now execute the following:

./ThetaUpdaterForWin.exe UPDATE C:\{YOUR-PATH}\gy1_v182.frm

This will install whatever firmware you’ve downloaded.

Credits for finding the firmware folders: Matthew Petroff