Ricoh Theta V doesn't connect to PC

Hi all

We use a Ricoh Theta V in combination with ‘Ricoh360Tours’ for quite some time now for our real estate business.

Since this morning however, the device isn’t detected anymore by the computer. We tried multiple computers and three different cables, but it just doesn’t show up anymore in the Windows Explorer .

Anyone has an idea how this can be resolved or what we can do to make it show up?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Sibo

Can you still charge the camera with the USB cable?

You can try to press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds to make sure the camera is turned off and then turn it back on.

I’ve never heard of this problem before. It’s possible that the physical electrical connection inside the camera is broken.

1 Like

Can you connect to another machine and see if it is detected or not?

The original post indicated that the person tried multiple computers. However, we’re not sure which type of computer they tried.

OK, somehow I skipped over that

Does the THETA V with the latest firmware appear as a storage device on your Windows 10 computer?

It appears normally on my Windows 11 laptop.

Hi @SiboB Were you able to fix the problem?
My Theta Z1 stopped connecting to my laptop in similar manner. It was working fine on my system. Tried different cables as well.
It charging when it’s connected. I can see the photo video option in the camera but the Live option isn’t visible.
Strangely it connects and detects properly in other systems.
I tried switching off/on for 5 seconds also, still it doesn’t connect.
Any help urgently would be highly beneficial, I’ve a study scheduled at the end of this week.

I have the Z1 in live streaming mode on Windows 11.

It is plugged directly into the computer, not using a hub or an adapter.

I am running Z1 firmware 3.01.1

I have RICOH driver 3.0.0 installed.

• reboot your computer
  • disconnect other peripherals from your computer and plug the camera directly into the computer USB port

My colleague @jcasman had a problem last week with loading plug-ins. He traced the problem to a faulty USB cable.

@syedjawadakhtar
Unfortunately we were not able to solve this problem. We still can’t see the device when connecting with the pc. Tried multiple pc’s, multiple cables.

We always use the app on iPhone and OneDrive to transfer pictures from the device to the computer. It’s a hassle, but it’s the only thing that works for us atm.

It seems like it is a faulty cable issue. The Live works perfectly fine when used other USB-C-type cables. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for reporting back on the problem and solution. It helps other people. Great that you got it working

Hi craig,
Wanted to inform that my 5 meters cable (USB3.0 to C-type) started working again miraculously with the camera, for over a week now. It was the same cable I was having problems with earlier.
I have realized that the problem may not be with the faulty cable. As it happened yesterday that the same cable stopped working for live streaming again. I tried a brand new 5 meter cable as well and it didn’t detect again. Trying a smaller cable worked.
So I think, it can be a problem of longer cables when connected to the camera, doesn’t boot up the Theta software on the system to recognize it for live streaming.

Fixed the problem by rebooting my laptop and thankfully detected it.

Is the 5 meter cable an “Active Extension” cable? 5m might be too long to get a stable stream without a signal booster.

people have used a USB signal booster. some cables have an active extension signal booster built in and a power input.

No it’s not an active extension cable.
Maybe I should try the USB signal booster.
Thanks!

I see some on Amazon for $26. I have not tried it.

It appears that the cable has some additional circuits to boost the USB signal.