Transferring THETA Files to a Mac

Just a quick note on transferring files from your THETA to you Mac. Thanks to @ZZChu for the info.

If you connect your THETA with USB to a Windows machine, THETA will show up as a device in File Manager. You can copy/erase files off the THETA easily. Not on a Mac. Nothing in Finder.

But, you have two good options.

• Alternatively, use the Image Capture app built into Mac OS. The THETA will appear as a device. Image Capture includes nifty thumbnails and a fair amount of file info.

Windows still seems to have the advantage of being able to right click on the THETA icon and get info on firmware version and battery level. Does anyone know how to do that a Mac?

1 Like

How do you play the 360 video HEVC files on the Mac? Is there something equivalent to Windows Movies and TV player or GOM Player?

I don’t think VLC will play the HEVC files properly. At least, does not play on Windows.

Is there some plug-in you can add to quicktime to restore the defunct QuickTime VR features?

I have not found something good yet for HEVC 360 videos.

• THETA desktop app - audio only
  • VLC - lots of issues, barely plays
  • Quicktime - very smooth in equirectangular, no 360
  • GOM - No desktop Mac version
  • LiveViewRift - for VR goggles

Is it easy to convert the HEVC video file to H.264 using Adobe Media Encoder or equivalent?

hi maybe you can help me…
im using he theta v and a desktop pc win7&10
i updated the theta v, adobe air and downloaded the newest basic-app from ricoh theta…
when i try to drag the orirginal footage from the theta into the ricoh-software to stich it…everytime there is a error calling " An error has occurred-failed to load file"
whats wrong with the program?

thx for your help

I read your original post incorrectly.

Did you just update the desktop app?

There were problems with older versions. An update was released yesterday.

I have downloaded 4+ Gb file via Image capture but the file can not be stitched via Theta app.
The file was deleted from Theta V already.

Is there any way to make those files playable?
Any way to restore files on theta V???

Note that I’m not using a Mac. My understanding is that you may need to use the RICOH THETA File Transfer App to move files from the THETA to the Mac if the file is over 4GB. If you move the video file with the standard Mac tool, it may become corrupted and you may lose the ability to stitch it. The tool below may help you in the future.

https://support.theta360.com/en/download/

1 Like

So far your comment is the best one i have found. I wasnt aware that Theta Z1 will not appear on Finder and was looking what is wrong with it.

I am just a little confused. Why other USB devices appear and a drive on Windows and as another storage device on Mac while Theta Z1 dont?

With Mac “Image Capture app” you can set also that each time Theta Z1 will be connected, it will open “Finder”. However it will not help since it will not appear as additional attachable forlder - so same as if not connected. “Image Capture app” is a good default option that shows the photos. And if you are not interested in the photo preview then using “Image Capture app” you can set that by default it will open Richo File Transfer App (download from Richo)

That’s a good tip. Makes it easier each time you connect to your Z1.

I am using Theta V but I have trouble downloading movies from de camera. The File Transfers for Mac doesn’t see the camera. An if I use Image Capture, the file is broken. And Photo can’t finish the download. Is there another solution?

@Bor_Borren Did it work for you before? Did something change? Can you try another USB cable? Can you try connecting to a Windows machine?

Can you use the official mobile app to get the file from the camera to your mobile phone? Then, transfer the file from your phone to your computer for editing?

I tried this already! But a file of 4GB is too much. The process stops halfway. I tried on windows, and that is working. Als just bought a new cable, waiting for that.

I worked before. Another cable gives also trouble. I tried on windows, and that is working. Als just bought a new cable, waiting for that.

I don’t have a Mac that I can use easily. I’m using Linux right now. You could try RICOH official customer support. I also use a Windows laptop when I’m not using Linux. The Mac is a good computer. I just don’t have access to a Mac at the moment.

Seems that the cable was the problem!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back on the solution. It will help other people.

Great news.

Excellent, thanks for letting us know.