Scrcpy for THETA plug-in development workflow

The RICOH THETA V and Z1 run Android inside the camera. You can display a virtual screen from the camera to your laptop or laptop computer.

This process is free and easy. You need to join the plug-in partner program to unlock your camera. Once the RICOH THETA is unlocked, you can connect your camera to your computer with a USB cable and see a virtual screen of your camera contents.

You can also connect to the camera over Ethernet or Wi-Fi. However, most people usually start with a USB cable as it’s fast and easy. To use Ethernet or Wi-Fi, you must get the IP address of your THETA and also enable USB and Wi-Fi if you’re using the USB port of the camera for another peripheral such as an Ethernet adapter or Arduino.

Alternative to Vysor

For the past few years, I’ve been using Vysor.

As Google is removing Chrome apps in March 2020, using Vysor in Chrome may stop working on my Ubuntu 18.04 workstation.

Although I can likely get it working on the desktop, I decided to use this opportunity to look at scrcpy.

$ snap install scrcpy
scrcpy v1.12 from sisco311 installed

Display

Display looks super clear.

Keyboard commands

Action Shortcut
switch fullscreen mode Ctrl+f
resize window to 1:1 (pixel-perfect) Ctrl+g
resize window to remove black borders Ctrl+x
click on HOME Ctrl+h
click on BACK Ctrl+b
click on APP_SWITCH Ctrl+s
click on MENU Ctrl+m
click on VOLUME_UP Ctrl+↑ (up)
click on VOLUME_DOWN Ctrl+↓ (down)
click on POWER Ctrl+p
turn screen on Right-click²
paste computer clipboard to device Ctrl+v
enable/disable FPS counter (on stdout) Ctrl+i
install APK from computer drag & drop APK file
push file to /sdcard/ drag & drop non-APK file

THETA tips

Kill the camera service to get the keyboard and back button working.

Settings → Developer options → Running services

1 Like

Indeed I’ve been using scrcpy with other Android devices (e.g Oculus Quest or Google Glass 2) and it’s been so very convenient. There is also a record mode and plenty of other options available as parameters.

1 Like