THETA X previewFormat 5.8K available

livePreview transmits a motionJpeg stream over TCP/IP using Wi-Fi, mobile data or Ethernet. It is used to preview the image prior to taking a picture. Some developers use livePreview to stream the video from the camera to different devices.

This is primarily for experimentation. Streaming over wi-fi in 5.8K using livePreview is generating more heat in my tests and the camera suffered thermal shutdown in extended use. I did not use a fan. I recommend people use the USB cable with the THETA X for live streaming. However, as the API supports 5.7K wifi streaming direct from the camera, let’s test it out!

This update to the webAPI documentation indicates that the THETA X can show previewFormat in different resolutions, including 5.8K.

For RICOH THETA X

{“width”: 5760, “height”: 2880, “framerate”: 30}

{“width”: 3840, “height”: 1920, “framerate”: 30}

{“width”: 1024, “height”: 512, “framerate”: 30}

{“width”: 512, “height”: 512, “framerate”: 30}

get previewFormat request

curl --request POST \
  --url 'http://192.168.1.1/osc/commands/execute?=' \
  --header 'Content-Type: application/json;' \
  --data '{
	"name": "camera.getOptions",
	"parameters": {"optionNames": [ "previewFormat"]
}}'

get previewFormat response

{"results":{"options":{"previewFormat":{"framerate":15,"height":512,"width":1024}}},"name":"camera.getOptions","state":"done"}

set previewFormat request

curl --request POST \
  --url 'http://192.168.1.1/osc/commands/execute?=' \
  --header 'Content-Type: application/json;' \
  --data '{
	"name": "camera.setOptions",
	"parameters": {"options": {"previewFormat": {"width": 5760, "height": 2880, "framerate": 30}}
}}'

check format

testing 5760x2880 frames

confirming that frame is 5760x2880

frames look good.

testing 512x512 frames at 30fps

To reduce heat

{
	"name": "camera.setOptions",
	"parameters": {"options": {"previewFormat": {"width": 512, "height": 512, "framerate": 30}}
}}

frame looks a bit distorted