USB API and Arduino for Camera Trap

Wow really appreciate this very thorough info!
I agree that for now it does seem like the rpi is the way to go. I might play around with that serial a little bit more just because I’m curious, but yeah we’ll likely just try to do the Rpi USB commands and connect some sensors to the pi

Thanks so much, will keep you posted!

1 Like

Able to get into the system with Vysor, and i can see the developer option i should choose to send those fake wifi commands, but anytime i choose anything other than PTP or Audio Source, the system just switches immediately back to PTP
odd!
(again, i should probably just be getting the RPi going, but this is a tricky enigma!)

You need to run a plug-in on the THETA V to handle the serial communication

The screen below is shown after the Arduino device is plugged into the THETA. The Vysor connection is with WiFi.

Another example (not Arduino), but shows serial plug-in.

This is what we’re using

i have given up on the Arduino approach and have been thrashing through getting a Pi zero w going on it all day. Im getting close :slight_smile:

I can make the camera take photos and videos remotely
but the only thing i still cannot do is wake it up from sleep.

I could do this with an Arduino emulating a keyboard and send a simple keystroke. Does anyone know of a simple easy way to either

1. use ptpcam or gphoto just to wake up the theta?
  2. use the RPi to send a simple keyboard stroke to the usb of the theta? (this wakes it up when an arduino does it)

also side note:
when you are hooking up the Pi Zero to the Theta, it appears to make a difference how you connect the OTG cable

That is, for me, i HAD to have the otg cable connected to the pi, and a regular USB cable to the theta for it to work (it was the opposite with an Arduino)

1 Like

Ahhh dang, i think i have finally reached the final dead end.

I don’t think there is a way to
A) Remotely wake up the theta
and then
B) trigger it to take photos

in any kind of autonomous (especially low-power) way

In my mind i could have used the Keyboard stroke trick + the PTP of the rpi, BUT the OTG cable needs to be connected the opposite way for both of these approaches (which is bizarre to me, i always thought the OTG cable was just the 4 wires going to a different header, but for some magic reason it seems to make a difference!)

Has anyone successfully woken up the camera with a Pi-zero’s bluetooth, and then triggered it for photos?

ahhh i might have to abandon the Theta as a possible camera for this, which is too bad because it definitely seems feasible, but there are strange road blocks at every corner it seems :frowning:

Have you tried this:

https://developers.theta360.com/en/docs/v2/usb_reference/property/sleep_mode.html

1 Like

I have tried this, it does not do anything unfortunately. I can GET the report of it is in sleep mode, but i cannot SET the mode

1 Like

Thanks for checking and reporting back.

I use Theta V with raspberry pi. Gphoto works fine except for the shutterspeed ( you need to compile).
Theta wakes up when the raspberry pi starts and you can use the power off for theta. I think (i will try) a reboot of the pi will wakes up the theta V.

2 Likes

@Hugues, thanks for this insight.

@quitmeyer, you should check out the project FOX SEWER ROVER by Hugues. It might be useful in your classes as well.

Neat robots!
and that’s great to know that the RPI turning on can wake up the camera

i wonder what kind of signal it is getting from it that does it, and if I can emulate

For the camera trap i probably won’t be able to wait the boot time for the RPI
so this is what i am up to now

Good ol servo pressing a button

2 Likes

Cool video! Does the length of the button press with the servo matter? Can you control that?

oh totally, this was just a quick test, i can control every bit of it very easy.
Basically i will have the Teensy send a virtual mouse click to wake up the Theta, and also have the servo move slightly to trigger it
i should be able to go from Sensor reading at PIR to photo captured in 1/2 a second (the goal against other camera traps right now)

1 Like

Wake Camera From Sleep Works Using USB API

I just saw this working. Both wake from sleep and put camera to sleep works using the USB API.
Ignore the error messages on the console about “Could not open session!”. That is appearing because the camera is in sleep mode. I also saw a demo the USB API controlling live streaming in 4K

Wow this would be great! then i can just have the Pi+ Theta! Do you think it works for the Theta V, or is there something special about the Z1?
Ill try it out probably tomorrow!

meanwhile here’s our documentation for how to make camera traps out of both the Theta V (or really any camera you can boop with a servo) and the MADV
http://www.dinalab.net/2019/09/27/panatrap/

1 Like

It should work with the THETA V, but I only saw it working on the Z1.

argh, so testing this with the Theta V
i can turn PUT the camera into sleep mode
via

ptpcam --set-property=d80e --val=1

but i still cannot WAKE the camera up from sleep mode

ptpcam --set-property=d80e --val=0
it will even say it suceeded, but it is not true, the camera is still just off :frowning:

Note i can also power it down via

ptpcam -R 0x1013

BUT i cannot wake it up (which is what i want to be able to do)

Thanks for this test. I’ll try it with a THETA V. I only saw it wake from sleep with a THETA Z1.