When z1 wakes up it always resets to Auto

Hello. When my z1 wakes up it’s always reset to Auto. Is this normal, is there a setting so that it’ll stay on the shooting mode when it went to sleep? Thx

The official mobile app sets the camera back to the last settings you used on the mobile app.

You can save a separate settings in My Settings.

For example, if I set my custom settings to:

• aperture 2.1
  • ISO 1600
  • shutter speed: 1/50

I can then call these settings up automatically in my settings.

To call up my settings, you first need to save my settings with the mobile app. After it is saved to the camera, you can short-press the lower Fn button twice.

You will see the MY icon on the OLED.

If you want to see the stored settings on the OLED of the camera, then long-press the Fn button (bottom on camera body) for longer than 2 seconds.

If you want to preview the scene in the mobile app, you can also see a MY icond on the app.

If you do not want to use the physical camera button to load your stored settings, go into the mobile app, My Settings and load the My Settings from the mobile app.

My Settings is designed to be used without the mobile app as a way to save specific settings and then shoot with a tripod and self-timer so that you can get out of the picture.

Hi Craig, many thanks for this very helpful info, I’ll give it a try! Best -

1 Like

My Settings is pretty confusing the first time.

One of the reasons it is so confusing is that the MY icon does not appear unless the My Settings are already set with the mobile app. So, by default, you never see the My Settings when you press the lower Fn button.

The other issue is that it’s not obvious that you can use the camera OLED to show the camera setting with a long-press of the lower Fn button.

BTW, even without My Settings, the mobile app should set the camera to the last settings used, not revert it to manual. This assumes that you’re using the official mobile app.

If you are not using the mobile app, then My Settings is the technique to use.

Craig, I don’t know if this is the correct forum but FYI, several times I tried to create this account independently (without having to use Google) and every time I tried I never received the confirmation email; the only way I could do this was to use Google. Thx

Thank you for reporting on this. We’re using commercial email server for outbound email and I think the confirmation email is getting caught in SPAM filters.

I’m going to try to upgrade our outbound email plan to get better visibility into the logs.

Thanks for reporting this.

Thanks again Craig. I always use the mobile app but if, for example, I have it set to Manual or Aperture Priority, it will always wake up in Auto. I bought this camera a week ago and am still familiarizing myself with it so maybe I’m missing something. If this continues I’ll take it to the service center.

I am on android with the newest version of the firmware and the newest mobile app.

I just tested the behavior and the camera wakes up from sleep and shows the last settings used in the mobile app. It does not revert to auto

Please confirm:

• version of firmware you are using
  • version of app you are using
  • what type of phone you are using the mobile app on

Hi Craig. Do you mind if I ask you something? It’s embarrassing but I’m having trouble figuring out how to install the Dual Fisheye Plugin into my Theta z1. These are the steps I follow yet I don’t see the plugin anywhere. What am I missing? DFP 007 is a screenshot from my phone (Android). Would you know if installing this app requires purchasing it? Many thanks for any information you can provide!

You do not need the mobile app. Though, it is useful and reasonable. Start with the free plug-in and see if you like it first. Initially, there is no need to pay money.

You may want the DFE RAW.

Click on Dropdown Menu on the desktop app

Hi Craig, thanks for this. I missed the drop-down menu for Plug-in 1. All good now. Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time

1 Like

Hi Craig, I hope I’m not bugging you but I have one question. A friend of mine was shooting below deck on a ship and said he had connectivity issues between his phone (Android) and the Theta z1; the connection kept cutting off. He said a friend told him there is a connectivity plug-in that works better than the Ricoh Theta app. I looked in the Ricoh Theta Plug-in Store but didn’t see anything. Are you aware of such a plug-in? Thx & Best - Joseph

He may be referring to the dual-fisheye plug-in remote, which is a third-party mobile app made by Ichi Hirota.

I can’t verify if it will improve the connectivity.

I believe that several people here and on Facebook Groups use that app. You should try and get real feedback from someone using it before you make that buy decision.

Ichi Hirota is a good developer that builds high-quality software as a hobby. However, I haven’t tested his remote recently.

There may be other apps on the Google Play store that connect to the Z1 and offer more functionality.

Craig, thanks again for your reply, very much appreciate it!

You mentioned that your friend was below deck on a ship.

The Z1 has two Wi-Fi bandwidths:

• 2.4GHz
  • 5GHz

In general, the 5GHz is much faster, but has less penetration through walls. You may want to flip between 5GHz and 2.4GHz to see if it makes difference.

In addition to going through a wall, there is also reflection issues. It’s possible that the 5GHz could handle WiFi reflection (bouncing off a wall) better.

You may want to try both 2.4GHz and 5GHz depending on the hallways and walls of your shoot.

You can change this in the official RICOH THETA mobile app.

If you switch it to 5GHz and then your phone can’t support 5GHz, press and hold the Wi-Fi and Mode buttons down for 8 seconds to reset the Wi-Fi settings and revert the Z1 to 2.4GHz.

Many thanks for this info Craig, it’s very valuable to know and something I wasn’t at all aware of. Take care -