WiFi Live Streaming Sample - using Z1 in HDR shooting mode

Hi!

https://www.flow.tours/en/product/32

Will be on for next 20-30 minutes, but as it’s quite cold, battery may be down earlier. It’s very dark outside already :frowning:

Connecting via USB to a Raspberry Pi 4 directly, which connect by WiFi to my AP.

Regards,
Laszlo

2 Likes

I will have to repeat this probably as it’s dark already and even if it’s working in HDR, hard to see any details, or will record the sample.

Regards

@biviel I tested the stream, it’s working pretty well! First screen requires you to click on the big 360 degree icon and a first image shows up immediately. There’s maybe 10 secs before it starts streaming. Can navigate around in the 360 degree space.

Thanks for checking! On Android mobile it sohould also work (preferable in Chrome), but I think I’m done with my homework for now. 20fps is stable and works as long as battery drains, with HDR stream quality is much better. Lot of noise now outside for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great. I have a basic question. What does “HDR” live streaming mean? Are you adjusting the light in different areas of the stream? The output looks fantastic. I’d like to explain this to other people, but they may not be familiar with the term, “HDR” live streaming. Thanks.

Hi! In camera api, there is a shooting mode called RicStillCaptureMultiYuvHdr, I’m setting camera into this mode and with some tricks I was able to make it shoot faster and get about 20% cleaner image in stream when encoded. The only issue is that stitching mode doesn’t work well there, so I built a javascript front end to be able to render dual fisheye formatted video/stream in browsers. I saw that you also worked on a similar POC in past, I used the same source, similar approach, but integrated into Video.js library. Of course had to increase complexity of equation a lot.
I will check if shooting with Handheld HDR (RicStillCaptureMultiYuvHhHdr) will work too and compare quality. USB cable connection helped also, but all this works directly via WiFi too, but I still need more testing to have a fair comparison. Regards

2 Likes

I will try to rebuild with handheld yuvhdr and stream again in 15-20 minutes, if it works, will make it aviailable again for you too if you are nearby to have a look. Hovewer it’s dark, I mean DARK outside.

Handhel HDR mode works too, although need to see benefits in live stream compared to simple HDR in my use case: https://www.flow.tours/en/product/32 hopefully stream will work next 20 minutes, but as its freezing cold not sure, running on batteries.

Sorry, seems freezing cold caused some device freezing too. will compare in better condition and also will save a sample again. Also running stream in hanheld HDR may have a differenc to, will see. regards

@biviel Just a basic question from me. I don’t understand how you can use RicStillCaptureMultiYuvHdr with live streaming. Isn’t that a picture (“still capture”) setting?

From here Notice of website closure I see that you can set RIC_SHOOTING_MODE to RicMonitoring. Is RicMonitoring the same as live streaming?

Hi! yes, but live streaming is also just shots of images, encoded into a video format. In theory it sohuldn’t work, but still it does work for me and color, image quality is considerable better. With internet shared via USB cable it seems that even heating problem is solved. I have 2 cameras, one with heatsinks around body other is not tuned at all, will have to test how that works in same conditions. for encoding I’m using 16mbit/s for transfer/rtmp. By debugging and spending LOT of time, I’m happy that it works for me now as is. At some points I had doubts that will be able to get to this point. Laszlo

1 Like

I recorded this live streaming sample today: https://www.flow.tours/en/product/33. Was connected to my mobile phones internet hotspot, 4G only. Used dualfisheye output in cam, video wasn’t modified at all afterward. I was watching myself at the begining on my android mobile phone at the same time. Broadcasting optimized for number of viewers, not for latency in my use case. So I was checking latency, stream distribution I use AWS Cloudfront service. Thanks for checking!