RTSP Streaming Plug-in

YouTube and Facebook use RTMP. You will need to use the Wireless Live Streaming plug-in for RTMP. did you upgrade the Z1 to 1.60.1 firmware?

If you want to use RTSP direct to another computer, use Pot Player on Windows or GoPro VR Player Desktop.

http://theta360developers.github.io/community-document/live-streaming.html#_wi_fi_rtsp_streaming_direct_to_computer

Live stream video output to desktop will look like this:

navigation

Feel free to post more questions.

Hi Craig,

Yes I’m all updated to 1.60.1…the Theta RTSP Streaming Plugin seems like the better choice as the “Wireless Live Streaming plugin” causes my Z1 to get very hot and I can only do about 10min. With heat sinks on I can do 30min…

With the Theta RTSP plugin started I connected the Z1 to LAN and used OBS to setup my youtube stream. It seems to be working alot better and camera not getting hot at all…

I’ll checkout above Players as suggested.

Thx so much for your help!

1 Like

Craig,

Do you know if it’s possible to connect camera to a mobile wifi router ? For some reason I can only connect to Home Router. It keeps telling me “Check your wifi settings” when I try to connect to mobile router. Not sure what Im doing wrong as Im following the exact same steps in terms of setting up my access point first…

I believe it’s possible, but I have not tried it.

We may be able to recruit @jcasman to help test the RTSP plug-in with a mobile phone as a hotspot.

Hi Craig, great idea ! I look forward to getting the feedback as my main aim is to do online live streaming when I’m out and about instead of indoors…

works from my mobile phone, Android Pixel 2. My mobile phone is a hotspot router. I’m not using my mobile phone to view the stream.

mobile_data

The phone assigned the THETA Z1 an IP address of 192.168.61.41 using the “Wi-Fi Hotspot” feature of Android. The traffic is going locally between my camera and the workstation running ffplay. I do not think it is using mobile data except for the Internet access from my workstation to the Internet.

Test 2 - All Mobile Data Access to Camera and Internet at the Same Time

Playing YouTube Video on workstation using mobile data while viewing live stream from Z1.

I have mobile access from my workstation to the Internet using the hotspot and can also access the 360 live stream using my mobile phone as the Wi-Fi router at the same time.

Hi Craig,
I’m trying to capture the Theta V and convert it to ROS images but it is not always work.
I wrote a cv app using Python to received the stream from Theta and it worked at 4.1.1 but not in 3.2.0. I researched a bit and turn out is openCV 3.2 doesn’t support UDP transport which RTSP plugin used.
Could you give me some advise about this issue?

Is it not possible to get your application to work with OpenCV 4.1.1?

You can try the following:

• Connect the THETA V to a Linux computer with a USB cable and run OpenCV on the Linux computer RICOH THETA360.guide Independent developer community
  • retransmit the stream into another format that OpenCV 3.2 can accept. See this article for information on retransmission from the RTSP plug-in. What format does it need?
  • Use something like MotionJPEG using the THETA livePreview feature to get the JPEG frames to OpenCV

Note that I’m not familiar with OpenCV and I’m not sure what format you need.

What’s the slowest acceptable rate to get the frames and what’s the lowest resolution acceptable?

I believe the V can do 1024x512 at 30fps or 1920x960 at 8fps for MotionJPEG straight from livePreview.

It’s better if you stream it directly to your application with a USB cable, but maybe you’re stuck and you can’t upgrade your app to a newer OpenCV?

I ran this this test with OpenCV 4.4 at 4K 30fps and it was no program to get working.

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your reply. In fact I tried the wired method and it worked very well. And the Wireless version is my next step in the Theta Streaming in ROS app.

For the re-transmitting the stream and get JPEG from THETA livePreview, That is new for me and I will get it a try. Although 1920x960 only offering 8 fps MotionJPEG using is a bit awful.

I expect that I can get the stream around 1920x960 at 30fps and the stream from RTSP plugin played in VLC is fine for my except the 2s latency. OpenCV works fine for lower the latency but it only accept TCP as transporting protocol of RTSP.

The reason for not using CV 4 is that it will conflict with other app in ROS system and I have to avoid to use it. I am still looking for the solution for this.

I’m not sure of your example implementation, but if you’re trying to get RTSP to another computer and the plug-in can’t be used, have you seen Zack’s solution in this forum and on the document about streaming from a Jetson nano to another computer by changing the pipeline in gst_viewer.c

Note that he’s receiving the stream on ROS with GSCAM. Maybe this is what you want? You can search this forum for zdydek posts and you can find the discussion. If you can’t find it, I can search and post the direct link if this is what you are looking for.

Also, the source code for the RTSP plug-in is available in this discussion thread. You can scroll up.

Hi! I am working on creating a real-time environment for a drone flight using Ricoh 360 Camera on any VR headset. Can you help me if Ricoh SC2 attached on the drone can live stream on VR Headset from a very far distance obviously?

The SC2 can’t use plug-ins. You need to use the technique below.

Unless you already have the SC2, it’s better if you try and get a used V.

The video below covers how to use the Amelia Viewer with an SC2.

1 Like

I recently tested the RTSP plugin on a ricoh theta v after the latest firmware 3.60.1. The RTSP plugin no longer functions, Also streaming using ethernet cable is not working. At this point there are not many options to stream with low latency. Any suggestions or solution on how to fix this or how to downgrade to the previous firmware which was working fine ?

I confirm that the THETA V with firmware 3.60.1 running the RTSP plug-in v 1.0.3 does not work in my tests on VLC. I tried different resolutions. All failed.

I have it working on ffplay using firmware 3.60.1 with the “nobuffer” flag.

fplay -fflags nobuffer -i rtsp://192.168.XXX.XXX:8554/live?resolution=1920x960

The source code is here GitHub - science-arts/THETA-RTSP-plugin: RTSP plugin for THETA

Though, it’s beyond my ability to work with.

community member pstawicki has the RTMP Wireless Live Streaming Plug-in working with NGINX with the rtmp module.

If you can work with ffplay, then the technique with no buffer may work for you.

We will check with latest firmware and try finding solution from RTSP Streaming Plug-in side.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.
@science-arts, thank you for this wonderfull plugin.

I ran into a problem. Sometimes, when trying to view a broadcast via a link via VLC, the camera emits three beeps, after which the plugin is turned off. Does anyone have any information on what to do about it?

Are you using a Z1 or a V?

Can you try with ffplay?

People have reported problems with the V running firmware 3.60.1 and VLC.

I’m using Z1.
I do everything as in the description of this plugin: THETA RTSP Streaming | RICOH THETA Plug-in Store. But sometimes camera does “beep-beep-beep”. Not always.

Is there any documentation for the beeps?
Thank you for answer @craig!

With the new Z1 firmware 1.80.1, there may be a problem with VLC. You may have better success with ffmpeg.

@science-arts Thank for your wonderful plug-in. How can I disable the plugin from another device? I think web api doesn’t work if the RTSP streaming plugin is works.