Theta Z1 USB Data Transfer

I’m going a bit nuts here…

Just bought a Theta Z1, and I’m heading to Europe for a month. I’m worried the 350 shots I can take with the camera (shooting RAW) won’t be enough, so I’m looking for a way to offload the files on the go. I have tried a number of setups to offload the images using the USB plugin, but everything results in “USB DATA TRANSFER ERROR CODE: 001” showing up on the z1 screen, along with a beep.

Right now I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter, with a 128 GB USB 3.0 stick formatted with FAT32.

Anyone have any ideas? There doesn’t seem to be much/anything written up about using the plugin, and the user guide hasn’t been much help.

Has anyone successfully used this plugin on a Z1?

Thanks!

Same issue I have with my Z1. Sometimes I got Error code 003 and most of the time 001.

Also cannot same 360 image as JPEG. Shows up as a thumbnail only.

Have you solved the problem?

Bob

1 Like

Same issue, just bought it. If I can’t transfer, it’s being returned. Shame Rioch are ignoring this thread.

Anyone have any update to this issue? It’d be awesome to be able to have this function!

@Hank Did you get the same error as @Jason_Kimmings and previous posters?

I used images capture to transfer and it works fine, just can’t user the installed USB transfer.

@Jason_Kimmings OK, good that you have a way to get it done, at least.

Even though the topic is older, here is my solution to the USB plugin problem.
I use my Theta Z1 almost exclusively with the Bluetooth remote control. So transferring via app doesn’t work for me.
I then bought a Transcend JetFlash TS32GJF710S. This flash drive works well with the USB plugin.
32GB is just a little small. Well, you could buy several of them, but a 128GB flash drive is just better.
I’ve been thinking about the issue for a few days now and have come to a solution. I tried many different tools to be able to format flash drives in FAT or FAT32. It was always the same result. Error code 001!
The last attempt was with the free version of EaseUS Partition Master (EaseUS Partition Master | Best Partition Software for All Windows Users.)
I was able to successfully format 2 128GB flash drives to FAT32 so that they work with the USB plugin. Formatting to FAT or FAT32 works. The cluster size doesn’t matter. I tested this with Transcend JetFlash TS128GJF710S and Patriot 128GB Supersonic Rage 2 PEF128GSR2USB.
I hope this helps.

Best regards
Kay

1 Like