Frequent WIFI Disconnection

We just recently purchased approx 20 Theta Z1’s in our studio and we are consistently running into very frequent disconnections while shooting via the app on android. Our setup is shooting photos only through the app mainly in Manual setting. I have a few questions and hopefully can get some help from all of the knowledgeable folks on this forum…thanks in advance!!

Android app version: 1.31.0
Theta Z1 firmware: 1.50.1

• Is there a benefit to having bluetooth turned on? I currently have the cameras setup with WIFI and Bluetooth connections concurrently. From other posts seems like best connection is made through setting the android device to:

1. Airplane Mode
    2. Bluetooth Off
    3. Making sure battery saver is disabled
  • What is the best practice to having the longer battery life. Currently seems within 1 ~ 1.5 hours of photo taking will pretty much drain the battery. I think it is possible to use some of portable power bank to while still taking photos. Please confirm.

• Is there any way for the camera to be setup so that when it’s connected via USB to a windows computer that it’ll show up as a drive with a drive letter instead of being a device without a drive letter?

• Plug-Ins, what is the function of plugin 1, 2, 3?
    Plug-In 1: USB Data Transfer
    I think I understand this correctly and it’s setup for me to connect the Z1 to a portable USB drive then offload the photos from the Z1 to the USB drive. How is this accomplished? Does a OTG cable help facilitate the transfer? I’ve tried the OTG USB adaptor and also using the factory USB C to USB A Cable connecting to a windows computer and get: Error Code: 001.
    Plug-In 2: Remote Playback
    No Idea what this is for and could not find any documentation online
    Plug-In 3: Remote Control
    Toggling this to ON shows an icon to blink, but still no Idea what this is for and could not find any documentation online

Again, thank you for reading this far and any help you may be able to provide. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

the remote control plug-in is for a bluetooth clicker.

Remote playback is to show the pictures to a SmartTV or computer.

Some people have reported problems after using the Bluetooth clicker plug-in.

Some people use a portable battery bank.

You can use this type of device to measure the charging.

Some people are having problems with the USB data transfer on Z1. I have not tested it recently.

Please post the model of Android phone and the OS version (such as Android 10) that you are having problems with.

I’m primarily using Pixel 2 with Android 10 and do not experience problems.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

We’re using Samsung Tab A tablets running Android 9. Since following your suggestion on setting the tablet to airplane mode and just having wifi on with battery optimization disabled for the Theta app, we’ve experienced significantly better reliability in connection. Thank you!!

1 Like

On my Android device, I sometimes see this spinning circle for a while:

If I stop the app and restart it, the app usually starts working.

when I have problems connecting, I disable all other connections, leaving only the camera connected. I don’t need to do this all the time.

You can also experiment with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi.

2 Likes

I have had the exact issue and it wasn’t just for the Z. The V had the same issues.

Has Ricoh admitted this is a real issue?

I’ve been experiencing the same issue. At first, I was using the Matterport app on an iPad mini and I would lose connection when I was standing around the corner out of sight. This happened so often that it added about 30-40 more minutes to my time shooting the home.

More recently, I am using my iPhone 6S Plus shooting 360 panos so I could try another hosting company like CloudPano or Eyespy360, and I experienced the same poor connectivity issue.

What was a real pain is when I shot the 360 of the exterior front or back yard, the connection would always drop out. I mean, I was just crouched behind a bush and was in “line of sight” with the camera, but no signal. Then I tried standing behind a tree truck, and no signal. I literally had to stand “in the shot” and then edit myself out to get a connection.

I had clear sunny days of all occasions, no high-tension power lines, and there were A LOT of other WIFI signal being detected within the neighborhoods, so my iPad and iPhone are working well and receiving signals loud and clear.

Theta V appears to have a signal issue, and I will perform a test at home to see if I get the same issues.