Processor Intel (R) Core ā„¢ i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.89 GHz
Installed DDR4 RAM 64.0 G NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
on a Asus X-99-A motherboard
the NVIDIA graphic card are doing a lot off work rendering
i am able to render 5.7 K 360 Video in 1:1
Adobe applications have support for hardware acceleration
so a new graphic card should help
how old are your machine ?

I have an old i7-6800K with 32GB of RAM. Itā€™s overclocked to over 4.0 and watercooled, but definitely old. I also have an X99 motherboard

Iā€™ve been thinking of upgrading my system.

However, I do not quite understand why I canā€™t encode HEVC at over 4K.

Ask Google
i Left ADOBE Premiere long ago
and now use VEGAS Pro 16.0 and CyberLink PowerDirector 20 Ultimate
what are your settings in Premiereā“
i think the first time you render HEVC the application will download the codec needed in Windows 10
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html
it seems that you are dropping frames

1 Like

In this version converted with ffmpeg to HEVC 5.7K, it does show up as 5K, but the frame quality is significantly degraded.

The good news is that the video did appear as 5K on YouTube. The bad news is that the quality of the frames is poor.

Iā€™ll try and export it with Premiere Pro ago using different techniques.

1 Like

Hey, Craig, thanks for all the Theta X content youā€™ve been posting lately. Perhaps you could upload your 360 videos to another hosting site like mega.io instead? I donā€™t think they muck around with the quality and they have a pretty decent free tier. Folks can just download the unmolested videos to their own PCs and playback with VLC, if need be.

Thank you for the help. Do you know if the audience can click on the 360 video image file on mega.io and it plays with 360 navigation, similar to YouTube? The YouTube play interface for 360 videos is nice when it works.

As a hobby, I was thinking of just documenting my local town and fish tank in 360 video. it will also allow me to test the camera more fully. YouTube would be great for this type of thing, but I am still fighting with the resolution.

Not natively, no. Itā€™ll just look equirectangular in their web player. People are better off just downloading the videos locally and then playing back with VLC, which has had 360 video navigation capability for some time now.

Thanks for letting me know. Iā€™ll experiment with different options, including the cloud storage like mega.io.

Thanks for the help and have a nice day.

I checked the Video Test from February to day 2022-04-06
and to day the video plays in 5K on yooTube

takes a little time for Youtube to render actually :grinning:

Thanks for posting this. Did it take over 1 month for the video to be processed into 5K from HD?

I have this neighborhood lawn bowling clip that was 2K for a month and now it shows up as 4K. Maybe it will eventually move to 5K after another month?

This is crazy behavior of the video processing on YouTube servers.

Yes something like one month to be earnest i did check it everyday :wink:

@craig
to my experience the best results shooting high resolution 25fps 360 video you get the best quality if you mount the camera on a tripod
not moving it and the move the camera to a new place to continue shooting for later fix the clips in a 360 video editter :+1:
360 action video should actually be lossless 360 stabilized 50fps or higher

Thatā€™s amazing. It took my video about a month to be processed as well. I had given up. Iā€™m glad that you kept checking.

Based on the tests by @Svendus , I just uploaded 3 videos, each with a resolution of 8K 10fps. Iā€™ll see how long they take to process on YouTube. The upload was done at 3pm PDT on April 12, 2022. All the videos are currently only showing up as 2K.

Update. As of 10:18am PDT, on April 13, 2022, at least one of the videos is showing up as 8K.

These were also processed to 8K.

1 Like

Dears,
Iā€™m also experiencing low quality on playback on some devices, no matter if playback quality is set to automatic or manual.

By the way, I never had problems uploading to 2160p60 from computer or Android smartphone, I can just say that 4K is downscaled to 1080p60 if any filters is applied.

With 8K itā€™s different.
First of all thereā€™s no wiki showing preferred codecs, wiki details only up to 4K.
By the way, the best chance of HEVC of course.
Mi smartphone can natively shoot 4320p24 HEVC footage.
The YouTube Android app accepts it and, once upload is completed, is starts to encode from 480p to 2160p, 4320p is not encoded.

Iā€™m trying to understand if do I need to enable 8K somehow on my account or if itā€™s just better to upload from browser on computer.

Regards

Oh, I didnā€™t know this. Is this common knowledge, maybe written down on the YouTube site or in a support forum some place?

I donā€™t think you need to enable 8K on your account. I didnā€™t do anything special on my account.

I still have a big problem with the bitrate being cut down so much that the video is basically unusable at 8K.

I just figured out how to set the bitrate when I take the video. Maybe I will try again.

Well, unfortunately no specs have been deployed by Google.
Their specs about suggested settings are limited to 4K.
Itā€™s my option that HEVC/H265 is the best chance for 8K, just because the most of smartphones allow only HEVC for 8K.
In the truth designated codec for 8K and 16K is VVC/H266, but itā€™s not available on the most of devices, yet.
With HEVC 8K bitrate is 50-80Mbps, maybe this is too much for YouTube.

Forgiving for a while bitrate and quality problems, how did you succeed in uploading 8K?
From web or app? If web what browser did you use?
Computer or smartphone/tablet?
Windows, Mac or Linux?

Regards

I used a web browser from a Windows 10 desktop and then waited 24 hours. It takes a while for YouTube servers to transcode above 2K.

https://youtu.be/nBiXXI-7t0g

In the video above, you can compare it to the original video file.

I uploaded the H.264 direct from camera with low bitrate as I felt it was going to get cut down by the YouTube servers anyway.

Would like to find a different way to sharing the videos that shows original quality and higher bitrate (at least 32Mbps)

This is my test.

ThetaX 11k Timelapse.

i use Adobe Aftereffect to 3d trackig and Stabilizer.

Adobe media encoder to output.

[Video Information]
Codec: AVC1 - Built-in FFmpeg Decoder(h264, Thread Frame)
Input type: AVC1(24 bits)
Input size: 11008 Ɨ 5504(2:1)
Output type: NV12(12 bits)
Output size: 11008 Ɨ 5504(2:1)
Frame rate: 24
BitRate: Unknown

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s a nice job with that video clip. That looks super useful and the detail is amazing.

After you uploaded the 11K video, how long did it take to be available at 8K?

On your monitor, do you have resolution higher than 8K video that is available to view?

On my screen, I can only see 8K.

Nice work with that timelapse.

max size only 8K (up 11K full size)

youtube 8K 6hour available

1 Like