Live Streaming over USB on Ubuntu and Linux, NVIDIA Jetson

thank you ,it is ok,and libusb need above 1.0.9;

1 Like

v0.0.6-theta-uvc released 2 hours ago. I am trying to compile on a Raspberry Pi. I will report back.

thanks,I have try. it is OK怂
by the way,Can i get livestreaming by usb on android?

I want try control ThetaV by usb on android.

Thank you for uploading the video. It works for me now. The issue earlier was that I build the master branch instead of theta_uvc.
branch_master
Also, I would like to ask if it is possible to make the Ricoh camera be detected as a video device. In that way, I can directly use it in ROS, OpenCV, or other robotics/computer vision applications.

2 Likes

Hi, I didnā€™t write the sample code or the patch, but Iā€™ve seen the THETA Z1 accessed from /dev/video0 on Linux. Iā€™m trying to get this to work myself. Iā€™ll share what I know and letā€™s work together on a solution that we can post here.

Iā€™ve seen the following work on Linux:

• gst-launch-1.0 from command line accessing /dev/video0
  • Yolov3
  • openpose

Hereā€™s what Iā€™ve seen work but canā€™t get to work myself.

Note that omxh264dec is specific to NVIDIA Jetson. x86 needs to use vaapih264dec or msdkh264dec (I think. I donā€™t have it working)

sudo modprobe v4l2loopback
python3 thetauvc.py | gst-launch-1.0 fdsrc ! h264parse ! queue ! omxh264dec ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=I420 ! queue ! v4l2sink device=/dev/video0 sync=true -vvv

./darknet detector demo cfg/coco.data cfg/yolov2.cfg yolov2.weights

in openpose/build/examples/openpose

openpose.bin --camera 0

Iā€™m now working on an x86 Linux. I was able to build the driver and demo on a Raspberry Pi 3, but I was not able to run the demo. It would hang with no error messages. It might be possible with a Raspberry Pi 4.

I am going through the information for Intel Video and Audio for Linux to try and get a better fundamental understanding.

I donā€™t know what v4l2loopback does, but Iā€™ve built the kernel module and Iā€™ve installed it.

It did create a video device on my system. The first device is my webcam.

$ ll /dev/video*
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 Jul 28 18:21 /dev/video0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 1 Jul 30 10:21 /dev/video1

This section from the README.md of the v4l2loopback site seems promising, but I donā€™t have it working at the moment.

the data sent to the v4l2loopback device can then be read by any v4l2-capable application.

If you get something working, please post. It looks super-promising, but I canā€™t access it from a /dev/video at the moment.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will take a look into it and see if I can make it work.

2 Likes

First of all, great work everyone, I am loving these forums.

I have a Raspberry pi 4, a Jetson Nano and a Jetson Xavier
I would like to stream vidio from my Ricoh V or Z1 to these devices and apply CV, tensorflow, code etc.
IDeally the video would just show up as dev/video0, so frames can be easily grabbed in my Python CV enviroment. I can do this in Windows, however, the max resolution seems to be 1920 - 1080. I cannot do it at all on these devices. I got very exited to see the anouncement for the linux driver on July 29th. I would like to organize notes here and help but together an easy-to-follow, guide on how to get this to work. I think this would open up a world of possibilities for the broader community. So I have the following questions:

• Should I even attempt this on my Raspi 4?
  • Has anyone gotten de Ricoh V/Z1 to show up as dev/video0?
  • Has anyone been able to grab 4K frames in the python CV enviroment on any OS?

If we can get this don together, I will sepnd time organizing a easy to follow tutorial with approriate credits to anyone who helped.

1 Like

Hi Craig, I got pretty far along on my RPi 4 until the make in gst. I get the following error:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/ricoh/libuvc/libuvc-theta-sample/gst $ pwd
/home/pi/Documents/ricoh/libuvc/libuvc-theta-sample/gst
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/ricoh/libuvc/libuvc-theta-sample/gst $ ls
gst_viewer.c  Makefile  thetauvc.c  thetauvc.h
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/ricoh/libuvc/libuvc-theta-sample/gst $ make
Package gstreamer-app-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gstreamer-app-1.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'gstreamer-app-1.0' found
cc    -c -o gst_viewer.o gst_viewer.c
gst_viewer.c:38:10: fatal error: gst/gst.h: No such file or directory
 #include <gst/gst.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [<builtin>: gst_viewer.o] Error 1

got it to work!!! but the latency on my Raspi is 20 ~seconds.

I installed some of the gstreamer stuff.

$  sudo apt-get update -y sudo apt-get install -y libgstreamer1.0-dev

$  sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer

$ sudo apt install libopenal-dev libsndfile1-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libsixel-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-base libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev

$ sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
1 Like

@Jaap This is great!! I know @codetricity was testing on a Raspberry Pi 3, and I think was having some issues. This looks like good info on gstreamer.

1 Like

Thank you, I got the Z1 to stream as well on the Raspi 4. Same delay it seems more than 20 seconds. I will try my Jetson Nano tomorrow. The camera is not showing up under dev/video0. I wonder how I can grab frames and bring them into python to start computer vision applications. Any advise?

1 Like

It may be that the Jetson Nano has more memory or other hardware advantages compared to the Raspberry Pi 4. I donā€™t know this, Iā€™m just guessing. Iā€™d be interested to hear how it goes with your tests and if thereā€™s an improvement in the latency.

I was unable to use the libuvc-theta and libuc-theta-sample on the Raspberry Pi 3. The platform is too slow. What was the configuration of your Raspberry Pi 4? How much RAM?

I have seen it running on the Jetson Nano with a single 4K live stream with low latency.

I have seen the demo running on Jetson Xavier with 2 4K stream simultaneously.

There was an update to the README about a gst_loopback file and an update to the code.

gst/gst_loopback

Feed decoded video to the v4l2loopback device so that v4l2-based application can use THETA video without modification.

CAUTION: gst_loopback may not run on all platforms, as decoder to v4l2loopback pipeline configuration is platform dependent,

Examples with VLC and OBS on /dev/video*

I am having issues with the frames stopping, but at least I have the video stream working. I think I need to specifically set the framerate and resolution. Iā€™ll keep looking into this. If anyone has it working smoothly with something like OpenCV, please post your settings.

running with VLC on /dev/video2

running with OBS

update 2018 Aug 17

I heard from the developer that it may be easier to get the v4l2loopback working with an iGPU or with an NVIDIA Jetson. These are the two things heā€™s tested. I just ordered a Nano to test the loopback with the Nano.

Iā€™m also trying to organize information on using the driver. Iā€™ll put some articles that Iā€™m looking at:

1 Like

Online Meetup to Discuss Linux Live Streaming

Sept 1, 10am PDT

Signup

https://theta360developers.github.io/linux-streaming-meetup/

Agenda

• Introduce Oppkey, .guide, THETA camera
  • THETA Live Streaming in General
  • THETA Live Streaming on Linux
    • USB cable
    • Wi-Fi RTSP
    • Wi-Fi motion JPEG
  • libuvc explanation
  • gst-streamer demo (already built) and explanation
  • v4l2
  • v4l2loopback and /dev/video*
  • Current status problems and welcome contributions
    • Does not work on Raspberry Pi 3. Raspberry Pi 4 shows 20 second latency
    • Frames hang after about 100 to 200 frames on /dev/video*

Signup Now

1 Like

Iā€™ll be running the online meetup and will be presenting both a good overview of the tools and techniques immediately available, plus digging down into specifics around the newly available libuvc library and what that means for THETA developers.

If youā€™re already working with live streaming or youā€™re just interested in finding out whatā€™s possible, this will be a great learning opportunity.

Also, weā€™ll provide ample opportunity to ask questions and talk about your current setup, if youā€™re interested in sharing. Letā€™s all join in and help grow the community!

Signup Now!

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 11.27.11 AM

2 Likes

GREAT!
signed up just now.

Live Streaming in 360 is so exciting.

Regards,
Toyo

1 Like

Watching the replay right now. Nice view! Sorry I missed it live!

Okay I am going to loop through my various Linux environments to see what works. I will keep editing this post. I am using the Ricoh Theta Z1 for all of these tests, my Ricoh Theta V doesnt turn on anymore and I have a hard time getting it to charge (this is an issue with the V that needs to be acknoledged by Ricoh).

VM (VMware)
Umbuntu 64, (18.04.5), Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
This would allow quick prototyping on a existing windows or iOs machine. I tried going through the steps installed everything successfully. I am getting the following error when running ./gst_viewer

./gst_viewer: error while loading shared libraries: libuvc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B,
Rev 1.1 4 gb version, Debian 10.4 (Buster).
I got the ptc_viewer to run but the delay is more than 30 seconds, at low frame rates. I know there is an 8 Gb RAM version. I am not sure if that will make a difference. I think life USB streaming on any Pi might be a bit too much!

NVDIA Jetson Nano
Ubuntu 18.04, 4 GiB RAM, NVIDIA Tegra X1, 64 bit
This is the Nano with the DLINANO Deepstream image installed. This worked well. I initially got the error

dlinano@jetson-nano:~/Documents/ricoh/libuvc/libuvc-theta-sample/gst$ ./gst_viewer 
./gst_viewer: error while loading shared libraries: libuvc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I was able to resolve this with (I will try this on my VM since I got the same error there)

sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v

The delay is negligible, life streaming a stopwatch, I get 260 ms delay.

NVIDIA AGX XAVIER
Ubuntu 18.04, specs

I got everything installed
jaap@jaap-desktop:~/Documents/libuvc-theta-sample/gst$ ./gst_viewer
start, hit any key to stop
Opening in BLOCKING MODE
NvMMLiteOpen : Block : BlockType = 261
NVMEDIA: Reading vendor.tegra.display-size : status: 6
NvMMLiteBlockCreate : Block : BlockType = 261

However, I donā€™t see the streamed feed appear. Instead, I see a red screen with some small striped across.

1 Like

for the current session, you can set the library path with

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

to make it permanent,
go into /etc/ld.so/ and add the path if it already doesnā€™t exist, then run ldconfig.

Thought, it appears you have that sorted out.

Like you, I have the streamed feed on NVIDIA Jetson Nano. I am making a video about this process now.

Update: I have the THETA streaming over /dev/video* with low latency.

Iā€™ll make a video first of the process, then add some additional explanation of the problem with the gstreamer vaapi plugin and the hardware decoder of the nvidia GPU with nvidia proprietary driver.

2 Likes

On Jetson Xavier, auto plugin selection of the gstreamer seems to be not working well, replacing

ā€œdecodebin ! autovideosink sync=falseā€

to

ā€œnvv4l2decoder ! nv3dsink sync=falseā€

will solve the problem.

3 Likes