Ricoh theta Z1 Error when switching on

Hello, the Ricoh Theta Z1 always brings errors when switched on. What can I do? The battery is full

1 Like

try hold the power and wi-fi buttons down simultaneously for 8 to 12 seconds.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve done that at least 20 times and the mistake keeps coming back

What is the error you see on the OLED? Can you take a picture of the OLED with your phone and crop a screenshot of a small picture and post it?

You may have a main board physical problem inside the camera.

Hello,
thank you
The same mistake as in the picture above. Shortly after switching on you can see the normal screen for a short time and then the error Error appears immediately. I will probably send the Z1 in.

That error could indicate a main board error inside the camera.

If it is under warranty, send it in.

If you plug the camera into a Windows computer with a USB cable, I’m assuming it does not show up as an icon?

right-click and select properties

This error occures when you hit the shutoff button and inadvertently right after that the shutter button.
The Z1 tries to write the picture and it seems like that kills the buffer ram?
Happened to mine 10 minutes ago. Bricked cam.

I’ve had a similar problem with my Z1 a number of times. Were you able to fix the problem?

You can try connecting your Z1 as a storage device to to a Windows computer, then save all your media to a safe location on your laptop or cloud. After your media is saved, delete all media from the Z1. Reboot camera.

if the “easy” fix of deleting media doesn’t work

If you are desperate and the camera is bricked, you can try more aggressive techniques if you have exhausted all other normal things such as calling RICOH support.

There are a couple of fixes that worked for me. I’m not recommending either of the techniques below, but I am just sharing what worked for me.

wipe all data and apps with Vysor Factory Reset

• camera must be in developer mode (free)
  • camera must be able to boot briefly, at least long enough for you to access Vysor

reboot bootloader with adb shell

• camera must be in developer mode (free)
  • I’m not sure what this actually does, but my camera booted

Hi Craig.

After a couple of month inactive, I came back to my Theta Z1 and it’s giving me the same error message when I boot. The Screen appears for a split second (remaining photos, battery etc…) but almost immediately Error, Red lights and beeping.

I tried charging with different cables, tried the hold-buttons (sometimes it will be a slow blue lights, giving the impression the reset was effective but will still error).

However, when I plug it on my PC I can see the last couple of images in there. It appears like a camera connected (with batteries charged, too).
I tried deleting everything on it, but still no luck!

If you have any new insight about this I would be very grateful --before I send it for repair.