RTSP Streaming Plug-in

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your reply. In fact I tried the wired method and it worked very well. And the Wireless version is my next step in the Theta Streaming in ROS app.

For the re-transmitting the stream and get JPEG from THETA livePreview, That is new for me and I will get it a try. Although 1920x960 only offering 8 fps MotionJPEG using is a bit awful.

I expect that I can get the stream around 1920x960 at 30fps and the stream from RTSP plugin played in VLC is fine for my except the 2s latency. OpenCV works fine for lower the latency but it only accept TCP as transporting protocol of RTSP.

The reason for not using CV 4 is that it will conflict with other app in ROS system and I have to avoid to use it. I am still looking for the solution for this.

I’m not sure of your example implementation, but if you’re trying to get RTSP to another computer and the plug-in can’t be used, have you seen Zack’s solution in this forum and on the document about streaming from a Jetson nano to another computer by changing the pipeline in gst_viewer.c

Note that he’s receiving the stream on ROS with GSCAM. Maybe this is what you want? You can search this forum for zdydek posts and you can find the discussion. If you can’t find it, I can search and post the direct link if this is what you are looking for.

Also, the source code for the RTSP plug-in is available in this discussion thread. You can scroll up.

Hi! I am working on creating a real-time environment for a drone flight using Ricoh 360 Camera on any VR headset. Can you help me if Ricoh SC2 attached on the drone can live stream on VR Headset from a very far distance obviously?

The SC2 can’t use plug-ins. You need to use the technique below.

Unless you already have the SC2, it’s better if you try and get a used V.

The video below covers how to use the Amelia Viewer with an SC2.

1 Like

I recently tested the RTSP plugin on a ricoh theta v after the latest firmware 3.60.1. The RTSP plugin no longer functions, Also streaming using ethernet cable is not working. At this point there are not many options to stream with low latency. Any suggestions or solution on how to fix this or how to downgrade to the previous firmware which was working fine ?

I confirm that the THETA V with firmware 3.60.1 running the RTSP plug-in v 1.0.3 does not work in my tests on VLC. I tried different resolutions. All failed.

I have it working on ffplay using firmware 3.60.1 with the “nobuffer” flag.

fplay -fflags nobuffer -i rtsp://192.168.XXX.XXX:8554/live?resolution=1920x960

The source code is here GitHub - science-arts/THETA-RTSP-plugin: RTSP plugin for THETA

Though, it’s beyond my ability to work with.

community member pstawicki has the RTMP Wireless Live Streaming Plug-in working with NGINX with the rtmp module.

If you can work with ffplay, then the technique with no buffer may work for you.

We will check with latest firmware and try finding solution from RTSP Streaming Plug-in side.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.
@science-arts, thank you for this wonderfull plugin.

I ran into a problem. Sometimes, when trying to view a broadcast via a link via VLC, the camera emits three beeps, after which the plugin is turned off. Does anyone have any information on what to do about it?

Are you using a Z1 or a V?

Can you try with ffplay?

People have reported problems with the V running firmware 3.60.1 and VLC.

I’m using Z1.
I do everything as in the description of this plugin: THETA RTSP Streaming | RICOH THETA Plug-in Store. But sometimes camera does “beep-beep-beep”. Not always.

Is there any documentation for the beeps?
Thank you for answer @craig!

With the new Z1 firmware 1.80.1, there may be a problem with VLC. You may have better success with ffmpeg.

@science-arts Thank for your wonderful plug-in. How can I disable the plugin from another device? I think web api doesn’t work if the RTSP streaming plugin is works.

Can you advise the use case on why you need to stop and start the plug-in?

It may be possible to stop the plug-in from the plug-in if we modify the source code.

Web API

Camera._plugin_control

Theta V is connected through local network with my notebook.

I tried this with Theta V current fw 3.70.1 on Windows 10 with ffplay and also with ffmpeg

This is what ffmpeg result is.

Camera is set to

Thank you.

The top LED must be solid white. In the picture, your camera top LED looks light blue.

Please confirm the following:

1. you installed the RTSP plug-in via the store (not from source code)
  2. you used the desktop app to set the default plug-in to launch on the V
  3. on the V, you pressed the lower mode button for longer than 2 seconds until the plug-in launched

The plug-in works with compilation from source code. However, you need to set the permissions with Vysor.

1. you installed the RTSP plug-in via the store (not from source code) → YES
  2. you used the desktop app to set the default plug-in to launch on the V → YES
  3. on the V, you pressed the lower mode button for longer than 2 seconds until the plug-in launched - > YES but only WIFI solid green and signal led is solid white are on.
    the solid blue camera is turned off.
    I haven’t done anything with Vysor. Thank you for advise.

This is what happend when I press the lower mode button for longer than 2 seconds.
The Wifi is connected to my router but the solid blue camera is turning off :frowning:

The problem is with the RTSP plug-in launch, not with your use of ffplay or other viewer.

It’s possible that the plug-in has a problem with the newest firmware of the V.

I don’t have access to a working V right now and can’t test this immediately.

Vysor is used by plug-in developers. The V runs Android internally and you can view a “virtual screen” of the V. You don’t need this unless you want to work on the source code. Your camera also needs to be unlocked, which is free, but requires registration with RICOH.

Thank you for very fast reply. :slight_smile:
Actually I just want to stream via RTSP to oculus rift.
Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?

so the registration with RICOH only required to develop own apps, i don’t have to do this.

I am running firmware 3.70.1 with THETA V and the RTSP plug-in works fine.

$ date
Fri Jul 16 04:46:47 PM PDT 2021

craig@craig-desktop:~$ ffplay -fflags nobuffer -i rtsp://192.168.2.101:8554/live?resolution=1920x960

ffplay version 4.3.2-0+deb11u1ubuntu1 Copyright (c) 2003-2021 the FFmpeg developers

Camera information

craig@craig-desktop:~$ ptpcam --info

Camera information
==================
Model: RICOH THETA V
  manufacturer: Ricoh Company, Ltd.
  serial number: '00105377'
  device version: 3.70.1
  extension ID: 0x00000006
  extension description: (null)
  extension version: 0x006e

Ideas to Resolve Your Problem